One of my favorite math teachers was the person who got me interested in math in the first place. He was very good at recognizing effort, and he was the first person to convince me that I could be good at math. As I became more invested in math, I began to visit him and ask for interesting or difficult math problems. He went above and beyond to find me problems that were the right amount of challenge for me and point me towards topics I could explore on my own.
My least favourite teacher taught a course that was very
challenging in its own right, so I want to acknowledge that his job was very
difficult. I struggled a lot with his style of teaching, which was abstract.
However, I also struggled when I went to him to seek help. He seemed reluctant to
explain concepts and told me that I should think about things more. However, I was
already spending exorbitant amounts of time on the homework, and it wasn’t
clear what more I could do to improve. It was very demotivating and was the
first time where I truly felt lost in math.
Both perspectives will help me a lot as a teacher. My favourite
teacher teaches me how important it is to feel encouraged and supported in
mathematics. I will have a range of students in my class, but doing a little extra
to meet my students where they are at will make a world of difference. My least
favourite teacher also taught me valuable lessons. I learned from that class
what it feels like for a student to be completely lost in math: demotivated and
frustrated. Remembering that feeling will help me navigate challenges and anxieties
that my students will have. I will also focus on both content and strategies
for learning math so that students come away from our interactions with
concrete things that they can try to improve.
Katarina, I really like how you captured both sides of your experience so clearly — the encouragement and challenge from your favorite teacher, and the frustration of feeling lost with your least favorite. The detail about being given just the right problems to push you forward really highlights how powerful tailored support can be. I also appreciate how you turned the harder experience into empathy for your future students, recognizing how it feels to be demotivated and stuck. That balance of encouragement and awareness will make you a very thoughtful teacher.
ReplyDelete