I agree with Lockhart that removing the history, process, and human struggle in mathematics makes teaching math meaningless. Lockhart describes how the beauty of doing math can be transmitted by exploring “mankind’s struggle with the problem of measuring curves… Eudoxus and Archimedes and the method of exhaustion… [and] the transcendence of pi” (Lockhart, 2002, p. 9). By incorporating the history and process of discovering in mathematics, we help students to see math in context. I have learned the importance of “teaching from context” in several of my other classes, often under the lens of cognitive justice. By incorporating context into mathematics education, we show students how and why discoveries are made and can incorporate other ways of knowing without musuemifying them. The process of incorporating history also addresses the culture surrounding mathematics. Many students I have had were quick to say “I’m bad at math” or “I’m not a math person”. However, showing students historical struggles with math, even among great mathematicians, could help them see that struggles in math are normal and worth it.
I disagree with Lockhart when he describes that conveying
math as a “set of rules” (Lockhart, 2002, p. 11) removes the excitement from
mathematics. Both my partner and I went to the same high school, learned math
from an instrumental approach, and both loved math enough to pursue it in
university. We were both drawn to the organization, rigour, and feeling of
achievement when we used what we learned to solve challenging problems. Although
we both struggled later when math became more proof-based and arguably
artistic, what kept us from quitting mathematics altogether was our foundation
of passion and appreciation of challenge. I also disagree with the idea of completely teaching mathematics “as art for art’s sake” (Lockhart, 2002, p. 11).
On one hand, I also have physics as a teachable, so I appreciate how
mathematics is used in science. From another perspective, I know many people
who find the creative process of art frustrating and not useful. Many people
have similar feelings about mathematics without it being taught as an art, so I
am not convinced that teaching mathematics entirely as an art would be an
improvement. That said, I see the value for getting different students engaged
in mathematics and showing my students different perspectives of mathematics. I also struggled immensely with proof-based courses in university, so perhaps it would have been beneficial for me to learn math from an artistic perspective.
Lockhart and Skemp argue that promoting instrumental
understanding, which is the current emphasis in school, is not enough to
understand mathematics. I found it interesting that both Lockhart and Skemp use
nearly the exact same analogy of music to demonstrate why instrumental teaching
is so damaging. I think in Lockhart’s case it is a more effective analogy,
because it is clear how teaching music as a purely instrumental subject removes
its artistic value, which is key to Lockhart’s arguments about how mathematics should be taught.
However, Lockhart’s article was published over 25 years after Skemp’s article
was, so I wonder if Lockhart heard the music analogy from Skemp and recycled
it.
Wow, what a thoughtful and well-written reflection on this article, Katarina! There is so much to consider here. I love your examples from your own and your partner's schooling -- and I agree, it can potentially be very satisfying to learn some beautifully consistent rules, and to work with math as a means to doing physics and other sciences. Great point that doing art can be less than satisfying for many people too. I'm pretty sure that Lockhart read Skemp, and I wonder too whether he borrowed the music analogy (perhaps without realizing he was doing so).
ReplyDeleteThis is such a rich and thoughtful reflection. Bringing in cognitive justice and the importance of teaching math through its history and human struggle—that’s a powerful lens. You’re right that helping students see that even the “greats” wrestled with ideas can shift those “I’m not a math person” stories we hear so often.
ReplyDeleteI also appreciate your honesty about where you diverge from Lockhart. Your reflection on enjoying the structure and challenge of instrumental learning gives this piece real balance. You’re not just agreeing or disagreeing—you’re thinking about what actually works for different learners, including yourself. That’s the kind of awareness i recognize coming from a strong empathetic teacher.
Your observation about Skemp (1976) and the shared music analogy made me smile—it’s a sharp catch. I like that you’re not afraid to question where ideas come from or how they evolve.
As you move into practicum, I’d love for you to keep an eye on how teachers and students frame struggle. When do they treat it as part of the process, and when does it feel like a problem to fix? And maybe look for small ways that teachers bring context or story into math.