Wednesday, November 12, 2025

Flow in the secondary math classroom

 I can recall times where I was in a state of flow. Most often, it happens when I work on challenging math or science problems. Mathematical and scientific problems correspond well with the conditions for flow, because they can be balanced in skill and challenge. In each case where I entered a state of flow, my sense of time was distorted, and I would often work for hours before realizing that much time had passed. One thing that stands out to me is that in each case that I entered flow, I was working independently and in silence. I think these conditions helped me to achieve the attention I needed to enter a flow state. I have also entered a flow state during swimming and water polo competitions (I used to play these in high school). Usually, I would enter the flow state during competitive situations. A lot of physical and mental preparation would come before the competition. I think proper physical and mental preparation was crucial for entering flow. My body had to be comfortable with using skills, and I had to feel confident in my ability to meet the challenge posed by the competition.

This may be a pessimistic view, but I believe that achieving a state of flow with an entire secondary math class is highly unlikely. I have personally found that entering a flow state is immensely satisfying. I would like to strive to provide learning activities to my students which have clear goals, immediate feedback, and have a balance between challenge and skill. Perhaps some of my students will enter a flow state for activities, but I do not think this is possible for an entire class. My reasoning is that full attention and no worry of failure are important conditions for entering the flow state. In the classroom, it is difficult to create these conditions, and some may be out of our control as teachers. Some students may be distracted by relationships with their peers. Some students may be sensitive to noise during activities, while others may have trouble being silent for extended periods of time. In EPSE 308, we also learned about how trauma affects students. Even if classroom conditions for entering flow are excellent, some of our students may be using a lot of energy to deal with trauma. If a student is dealing with trauma, then it can be hard to engage them during class, never mind get them into a state of flow and happiness. As a teacher, I would like to create some conditions for flow, and I want to get to know my students so that they can be best engaged with the material. However, I cannot expect my students to all enter a state of flow, because I think that overestimates the influence I have as a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate that you’re thinking about trauma, because so many learners — children and adults — carry it with them into the classroom. “Flow” won’t look the same for everyone, but quieter, less pressured moments can still offer regulation, safety, or simply a place to breathe. For some students, those moments are deeply welcomed.

    And as the adult in the room, you become a key part of how students navigate themselves and their relationships. When they begin to trust you, that trust can show up in all kinds of ways — sometimes even through behaviours that aren’t easy. But that’s not a problem; it’s a sign they feel safe enough to let you walk alongside them. Trauma isn’t something we can see from the outside, so your steadiness and care matter more than you know.

    Your strength is the way you hold students with both structure and humanity. That’s what will help you create a classroom where every learner has room to grow, regulate, and belong — whatever their starting point.

    I love that you mention that you shouldn't expect all your learners to enter a flow state, and i think you are absolutely correct to do so. I think it becomes far too easy to assume it is your job to control the inner thinking of students and you have pointed out that this is not where you hold any ground. I adore this and i think it will serve you well when you are faced with the staff meetings where the message is: "what are you doing to engage learners" which is often a smoke and mirror approach to avoid the major lack of support in the school/district... Although, maybe i have not had my coffee this morning... Looking forward to seeing you in class!

    ReplyDelete

Unit planning: Lesson plan 3

  Lesson Plan 3 Subject and Grade Level:  Math 10 Curriculum Big Idea:  The meanings of, and connections between, each operation extend ...